Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Week 3 Update

This week I started making maps with the ESRI demographic data. It has data from 2000, and 2010. I would like to also find data from the 1990 census for comparison. Here is one of the maps that I have been working on.
New York State Populatoin Density in 2000 Map 
I am going to finish one for 2010 as well as a map that shows the change in population density from 2000 to 2010. A fourth map that I am looking into making is one with graduated symbols for various cites in New York based on population density. This map will show specific cities as apposed to county level data.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Kori,
    Looking great so far! I was wondering what the map may look like if you dissolve the boundaries of the counties so it would be one continuous polygon of color- using what we learned in chapter 7. I am also so tempted to want to see the surrounding states and how they look to see how the color spreads out away from NYC. Very Interesting. Are you able to make the font slightly smaller in the Legend and move it to the upper right, above the ESRI citation? You can also make the legend into a graphic which you can edit to change the size- Ryan showed me that! That way, you can shift the map down and put your title in the upper left and scale closer to the bottom of upstate NY. I didn't know if you had tried that yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha yea, you can convert the legend to a graphic and play with it lot and make it really look however you like!! I definitely would be interested in seeing what this data looked like if it were converted into raster, you would probably see more of the finer nuance details in differences in population density. great work on this first map!!

    ReplyDelete